This semester has been an enjoyable crash course in learning SketchUp, AutoCAD, and Photoshop. These images are a few of my earliest attempts. (Fall 2008)
I have fond memories of rearranging furniture, moving shelves, and organizing things in my room. As a child I remember measuring all of the furniture and plotting it to scale on graph paper. I would then sketch new arrangements and determine whether they were practical or not. While some thought my actions were unnecessary, to me the arrangement of elements in design and space are similar to solving a puzzle. That is why landscape architecture is so appealing to me. I have a wife and three small children, so I understand the importance of providing through hard work. I spent long summers working and managing crews for a lawn care company in Rexburg, Brent’s Lawn & Leisure. I understand the importance of computer technology in the horticulture field, and have spent a year working on campus updating web pages, trouble shooting, and insuring computer software function. I am currently employed by Maurice Brown, of Stone Creek Landscape, designing and installing landscapes which include hardscapes, planting, sprinkler systems, and water features. For certain projects I am responsible for client consultation and generating both hand rendered and computer-aided designs.
Undergraduate Preparation:
As a horticulture student at BYU-Idaho, I have acquired a firm foundation in the elements and principles of design. I was taught the fundamental tools and skills required for success by excelling in the following key courses: Advanced Landscape Design, Plant Identification, Construction Materials, Landscape Construction, and even Floral Design. These challenging courses provide hands-on opportunities for production and design. I have personally grown and sold my own bedding plants, constructed brick-paved walkways and patio steps through the campus experimental gardens, created a hardening-off area for the production students, and even designed flower sculptures for our annual Flower and Bridal Show. Proficiency in the proper use of landscape materials, time management, preparing bids, meeting deadlines, communicating effectively, and working together as a team, are skills that are common place for me now. Throughout my years at BYU-Idaho, I have taken extra science courses (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Anatomy & Physiology, etc.) and still maintained a 3.6 GPA.
Graduate Work:
I am currently enrolled at the University of Idaho pursuing a double degree in Landscape Architecture.This degree option allows me to take classes for both the Bachelors and Masters degrees offered by the department of Landscape Architecture.I expect to graduate in the spring of 2011.I have had the opportunity to participate in various studio projects which have included work on memorial parks, plaza designs, recreation fields, revitalization projects, learning centers, and even the Earth from Above event scheduled to take place in New York City sometime in the next few years.My skills and abilities as a Landscape Architect have improved greatly through enrollment in Plant Identification, Landscape Graphics, Landscape Construction, Professional Practice, Research Methods, and over half a dozen Landscape Studios. I have also developed proficiencies in AutoCAD, Google SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, and GIS.
Career Goals:
I have visited several large landscape design and installation companies in the Intermountain West and have toured many facilities. I am seeking the expertise and training necessary to become a certified landscape architect at a design and installation firm. I am highly interested in the further study of computer graphics and internet capabilities in the field.
In April of 2008 I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Horticulture. My area of emphasis was Design/Build, and I completed a minor consisting of three clusters in Biology, Physics, and Chemistry.
The Reigning Champion
I had the opportunity to participate in three events at the National PLANET competitions in Atlanta, Georgia (2008). I had fun participating in the Sales and Installation events, but the crowning moment for me was taking 1st place in the bidding and estimating event. I competed against over 160 other students from across the nation, and scored a 99% with the 4th fastest time.
Lighting: Design and Installation
I had the opportunity to attend a series of lighting seminars held by Vista lighting. One seminar focused on designing and installing successful landscape lighting.
Lighting: Sales and Marketing
I had the opportunity to attend a series of lighting seminars held by Vista lighting. One seminar focused on the sales and marketing aspect of landscape lighting.
Lighting: Bidding and Contracts
I had the opportunity to attend a series of lighting seminars held by Vista lighting. One seminar focused on proper bidding and contracting for landscape lighting.
1 comment:
DOUG! This is an awesome blog! Jonathon and I are quite proud of you!!!
Post a Comment